Early School Leaving is directly connected to unemployment, social exclusion and poverty. Personal or family problems, learning difficulties, a difficult socio-economic situation are all factors that influence students to drop-out from school prematurely together with the pedagogic methods, the school climate and governance and the relationship teacher-pupil. Today is more than important to work on these factors to prevent and fight Early School Leaving.
Since there is not a single reason for Early School Leaving, there are no easy answers and an holistic approach is needed. During the course the participants will learn how to identify the causes of Early Sschool Leaving and the best approaches and strategies to prevent, tackle and reduce it.
This course aims to provide teachers, headmasters and education staff with knowledge, tools and methods to prevent and tackle Early School Leaving (ESL). The general aim of this course is to foster excellence in education by empowering teachers, trainers, headmasters and other education staff to tackle ESL while sharing best practices and experiences with fellow participants and trainers throughout all Europe gaining as well a broader understanding of education in Europe.
Thanks to this course the participants will:
This course is open to: teachers, trainers, headmasters, school and education managers, educational counsellors, career counsellors, other school staff, other adult education staff, other higher education staff, other non-governmental organization staff, public servants, policy makers.
standard daily programme
Please find below the standard indicative daily programme that will be personalized on participants needs and professional profiles.
Our standard program comprises 7 days of course, of which the first one is dedicated to networking, preparation and cultural immersion and the last one to follow up, specific needs and cultural activities. Please note that we always do our best to accommodate the specific needs of our participants in a flexible way, including but not limited to budget restrictions and travel arrangement. Participants can choose to arrive 1 day before the start of the course and/or leave one day after the end of it in order to enjoy a deeper cultural immersion. Upon specific request we can organize longer or shorter versions of this course.
For the courses in Palermo the cultural activities are slightly different and comprises visits to Palermo, Monreale or Cefalù.
- Participants arrival
- Individual orientation and information about the venue and the city
- Networking activities
- Guided visit in Bologna (optional)
- Welcome dinner
- Course introduction
- Competences ex-ante evaluation
- Ice-breaking activities
- Teambuilding exercises
- Early school leaving European rates and policies
- Understanding and recognize the main factors that lead to school drop-out
- Reflections on current early school leaving causes and presentation of learners’ experiences about early school leaving
- The pedagogical approach I: the effective use of ICT and new technologies to prevent school drop-put and engage students
- Practical work: turning your iPad or Android tablet into a virtual whiteboard with Lensoo Create
- Practical work: adding interactive exercise to the lesson with Kahoot
- Practical work: creating a learning community with Socrative
- Visit to local school and best practices’ exchange on preventing early school leaving with local teachers
- The pedagogical approach II: reducing early school leaving and fostering students’ participation through project-based learning (PBL)
- Effective collaboration of PBL inside and outside the classroom
- Practicing, designing and delivering effective PBL activities
- Guided visit in Florence or Venice (optional)
- The parental involvement approach: engaging and dialoguing with parents to prevent early school leaving
- A Differentiated, Holistic and Systemic Approach to Parental Involvement
- The relationship between schools, parents and families
- The stakeholder involvement approach: involving parents to prevent early school leaving
- Resources and best practices to empower a multi-dimensional and holistic response to early school leaving
- Visit to local body active in the field of early school leaving
- Cultural activities in Bologna and traditional Italian aperitif
- The School governance approach: moving beyond temporary and isolated measures to a strategic 'whole school approach
- Developing anti-Bullying Procedures in School
- Establishing guidelines on Codes of Behaviour
- How to prevent and cope with stress: strategies and techniques
- How to support students to manage stressful situations
- Practical work: implementing a relaxation and visualization session
- Practical work: practicing breathing and self-awareness techniques
- Dinner in traditional Italian restaurant
- Space for discussion of future cooperation and planning follow up activities
- Course roundup and final evaluation
- Validation of learning outcomes and certification ceremony
- Additional training session tailored to specific needs (optional)
- Cultural activities or additional guided visit in another major Italian city (optional)
- Participants departure
We tailor the working methods based upon participants’ needs, attitudes and professional profiles in order to ensure high productivity, effectiveness and transferability into practice.
The standard methodology is highly practical and participative with hands-on approach that comprises real-job examples, case studies examination and simulations. We embrace collaboratively working methods that foster mutual learning and cooperation among participants. Our focus is on learning in an interactive and international environment knowledge applicable to the real contexts and/or in the classroom. The pedagogical methods that we use are based upon experiential training, group and peer activities, learning-by-doing and best practices’ exchange. They include visits with local schools and institutions allowing the participants to better understand the local education system as well as exchange ideas and contacts.
Morning Wrap-up and brief daily evaluations are foreseen to ensure quality of education and to adapt the learning programme to participants' needs better tailoring the education.
We organize optional social, networking and cultural activities to give participants the opportunity to know Italy as well as to exchange best-practice and establish professional cooperation and links.
The training and staff team is multinational thus giving a full European dimension to the course.
You can find below the sessions planned. If none of these dates suits you please mind that we may organize an additional session ad-hoc for your school if there are at least 6 participants interested so feel welcome to contact us at email@example.com to let us know about your needs. When adding an ad-hoc session we may be able to organize it in your language.
07/10/2018 - 13/10/2018
24/02/2019 - 02/03/2019
24/11/2019 - 30/11/2019
Costs and Erasmus+ Funding
Teachers, trainers, headmasters and any other staff of education organizations are eligible to receive an Erasmus+ grant covering all the costs including travel, board and lodging, cultural activities and all fees. Our training courses are tailored to be fully funded by Erasmus+ and we offer different options - from all-inclusive to course only to ensure that the Erasmus+ grant will be sufficient. You can find more about Erasmus+ funding, shall you have any problem with your grant please let us know and we will see how to accommodate your needs.
The most common all-inclusive package costs EUR 1250 and includes course fee, certification and support fee, accommodation in single room, all coffee breaks, 3 meals per day, walk tour in the city and local transport during the course. Based on your preferences and budget you can request different services, a less inclusive package or you can choose to organize the board and lodging by yourself and opt to just attend the course. You can read more about how we take care of your subsistence.
CERTIFICATION AND VALIDATION OF LEARNING OUtCOmeS
At the end of the course, each participant will be awarded a certificate of attendance including a description of training content and as well as its starting and end date, together - if requested - with the Europass Mobility Certificate.
We support the participants in every step of certification an d validation of learning outcomes with specific focus on European instruments and Erasmus plus requirements such as staff mobility/learning agreement, quality commitment and Europass mobility certificate.
We experienced that schools and education organizations may require additional documents to certify the competences learned or the presence in the training course. Upon request we can provide additional certification and reporting documents as well as we provide photos of the training course and a sum-up video that can be used for visibility and dissemination purposes.
Language of the course
The course is held in English. For groups with at least 8 participants, we can organize an ad-hoc session in a different language.
Please write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to get more information about it.